I began homeschooling my daughter last year for Kindergarten. My husband and I had always known that we would homeschool our children and I must tell you that when it came down to it, I was more than a little scared.
I searched and looked, looked and searched for a math curriculum. Math was never my strong point in school so I wanted something engaging, colorful, and that would be easy to follow. I landed on Horizons Math by Alpha Omega Publishing, Inc. I liked it so much that I am using it again this year for 1st grade.
What I like about it?
1. The ease of teaching it. The information is laid out in such a way that not only do I feel comfortable trying to teach Gracie new topics, but she feels comfortable and is not intimidated.
2. The repetition. A new topic will be learned and then it is regularly repeated and practiced on following pages in short increments.
3. The colorful pages. Not only does it simply make the work seem a little more inviting but it also makes it easy to tell Gracie which portions of the page I would like her to do. For example: We might come to a page that has alot of practice problems for topics already discussed, learned, and mastered. I am able to say "Only do the ones in the purple boxes".
4. The information learned is amazing! Not only is Gracie learning on the same level/rate as her peers in public school (I have friends with 1st graders in public school) but in some areas this curriculum has touched on items that have not been in the public schools.
5. Each page is an individual lesson. This gives Gracie a sense of accomplishment when she can tell her Daddy that she completed 2 or 3 "lessons" of math a day. It also makes it easier to plan for this subject.
So, there. I like Horizons Math and would highly recommend it!
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.