Kim here again.
We have implemented a fun activity into our lives. I am not sure if it fits with homeschooling we just find it fun, you be the judge.
We usually take a ocean vacation every year and my kids love the beach. My oldest child decided that she wanted to learn about the ocean in a fun way. I was up for it, so I came up with a work in process project. We do not work on it everyday but when we want something fun and crafty to do we work on it.
We are making an ocean at my house.
I took a decent size bare wall and put b
What I do is find a fun ocean animal craft and some facts about that animal, usually online. We then do the craft, talk about the facts, watch video when I can find it and add the craft to our ocean wall.
Here are a few pics to give you a better idea of what we do.
Whats on there already?
clouds- we read a couple of books on clouds and then made our own with co
Blue whales- paper lunch bags filled with newspaper and then painted.
Bottle nose dolphins- paper mache paper towel rolls and then painted
Sea weed- tissue paper of different colors. Red, purple, green just like the ocean
Coral- construction paper with packing peanuts glued on it.
Starfish- cardstock painted and sand added to the wet paint.
Sea horses- cardstock painted and sand added to the wet paint.
Mermaid- cardstock with tissue paper glued to it and yarn for the hair.
Manatee- paper stuffed with cotton balls and colored grey.
Gulf Stream- made the current in the bathtub (whirlpool) and let it carry a toy boat around the tub. We then wrote Gulf Stream on out ocean and made arrows to represent the current.


I'd say that's homeschooling! They are learning so much.
ReplyDeleteI think this is awesome, and yes it is homeschooling you all are learning tons on the ocean and its animals and having fun doing it, sounds like a win-win to me.
ReplyDeleteYOu have a great blog,btw, its fun finding other hsing mommas, will be by again for a visit.
What a cute idea! My 2 preschoolers absolutely love crafts so this is a good way to learn and have fun.
ReplyDeleteKim here I was thinking the other day about the wall and thought of other things to do. How fun would it be to do the rain forest or desert? You could even do things on a farm or construction site. My little guy is so into tractors right now. The possibilities are endless.
ReplyDeletethat is my fav way to homeschool!!
ReplyDeleteHow could this NOT be home education? Life is learning. All learning doesn't come from a textbook/workbook. As a matter of fact, what they learn through something like this is more likely to stick with them than "seat work". Embrace this opportunity and look for others like it!
ReplyDelete