Saturday, August 22, 2009

Stocking Up for the year...

We all know the basics: pencils, pens, paper, scissors, glue, maybe a new bookbag, and many other things that we do to signal the start of the "new school year".

But have you thought about stocking up on something a little different? Magazines. Yep. Magazines. I can't tell you how many times last year I would dig through and tear up my magazines (cooking, craft, women's, family, etc.) looking for pictures to make things.

Have you done this? Is this a lightbulb idea? Anyway, I have an awesome solution to having to cut up your own magazines (which usually are not cheap). The library! Yep, the library! Now, I am not talking about the ones that you can borrow but the ones that they sale when they are too old or the extra copies that they have. My library always has an overwhelming stack that they sale for 10 cents a piece.

If you have never thought of using magazines, here are some ideas:

National geographic: great for science, world history, earth science collages
Cooking Magazines: great for large size fonts/words, and description words like HOT. I would cut out the large letters and have my daughter spell her spelling list using the cut out letters. This worked great for first grade and simple words. These are also great magazines for learning the food groups and making collages
Craft magazines: Well, for getting craft ideas
Family magazines: Great for cutting out pictures of children, adults, families to discuss family order and family dynamics

These are just a few ideas that I had. Do you have any?

2 comments:

  1. I also like looking through magazines. Abby wasn't that into collages the last time I tried, but I'm hoping to give it another go soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have been saving our magazines. I used to save them to cut words and pictures out of to make prayer journals. Now I am also saving them for MK as we will need them for school. we also save clothing catalogs that come in the mail. And many christian magazines are free to subscribe to. so we save those as well

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.