Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Spell My Grits



(Does anyone remember "Eat My Grits?"  That's what is ringing in my ears...)

Well, last night Manny desperately needed some entertainment.  I opened my pantry hoping that something would jump out at me and there sat the poor neglected container of grits.

I got out a mason jar and searched my kitchen for some odds and ends.  I came up with an odd assortment of items, including skittles, that Manny could sit and do a little treasure hunt.  And it was very rewarding for him and for me.


Then I got the bright idea to include Little Cheese in the fun but to make it educational.  I found our letter tiles (although letter beads would have worked better) and found enough tiles to spell four or five words.  I wrote the words on a piece of paper and then threw the tiles into the container of grits.


Little Cheese had to search in the box and find the letter tiles then use them to spell the words written on the piece of paper.  This game received a 10 on the Little Cheese 1-10 scale (1 being "I couldn't wait for it to be over because it was so boring" and 10 being "That was great, when can I do it again!"

This would also work well with a full alphabet of tiles or beads for Manny.  I could have him pull out the letters and then have him put them in alphabetical order....

You could also play a game of hangman.  Add the letters to the word that you have to guess and then add 5-10 extra letters that aren't in the word.  Pull them out one by one and try to pull the right letters before you are "hanged".

Lots more possibilities that I originally thought!

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.