Monday, March 8, 2010

Blog Hop #5 - What's Your Style

A huge thanks to Our Worldwide Classroom for hosting this blog hop!










So what's my style, my approach, my thinking behind how I homeschool.  Well, this is my third year of homeschooling Little Cheese.  It has been such a learning experience for me.  At the beginning of this current school year, I really struggled with whether or not to continue to homeschool or to go ahead and put her in public school (hubby is a teacher in an excellent school system and the pluses and advantages to school really pulled at me this year.)

So, we started out this year with an official school desk (salvaged from a school), a white board, and tons of workbooks.  My goal:  to get Little Cheese ready to attend public school for third grade.  She was going to be able to sit at her desk, look at the white board, copy work, do work, and basically have no fun while doing it.

It didn't work for long.  I hated it.  She hated it.  It took us to a relationship that God simply did not plan on us having.  From the moment the word school came from my mouth...the struggle began.  So, some time in late December,  I was convinced that the best course of action was to enroll her in public school prior to Christmas break.   

God is so good!    He changed my heart!  You can read more about my post on that if you are interested.  First of all, the two days prior to Christmas break in which I wanted to enroll my Little Cheese, it snowed.  Feet.  God literally closed the doors of the school.  Then the first of January, Little Cheese had her tonsils out.  No school for a while for her recovery.  Then I decided to simply teach my Little One. 

I have assembled the best possible curriculum using various publishers.  I have sought out ideas and curriculum thoughts from highly admired homeschoolers.  I have listened to my friends share their struggles and successes and tried to fit them into how I homeschool.  I have found so many wonderful ideas and resources from the incredible amount of wonderful homeschool bloggers!

I am not sure what style of homeschooling we are...only that we are not unschoolers.  I guess the best classification is:  I AM A HOMESCHOOLER.  This is what I am.  A mom and a teacher.


MckLinky Blog Hop

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love your last paragraph.

    "I guess the best classification is: I AM A HOMESCHOOLER. This is what I am. A mom and a teacher."

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good when it comes to making us do what He wants us to do.

    I love your last paragraph as well. I believe that is the number 1 quality that all of us need to remember as parents and homeschoolers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you mama! Great post! Curious why put your daughter in public school - why not continue to homeschool?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who better to teach her than her mother. Great posts! Thank you for participating! I am loving learning about everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! (Maybe what I just typed in the comments is going to show up later, but at the last minute my little finger slipped, and everything disappeared! Aaagghh.) Anyways, here's what I said--please forgive if this is redundant:
    Yay! Loved your post! Praise the Lord for your decision to Homeschool your little girl! Even if you did *absolutely nothing*(!) but keep her home, let her work beside you, loved her, and just were together--she'd be far, far ahead! God will give you wisdom. Researching and reading lots, yes, but asking your husband what he thinks, and prayer, and Bible Study are still the best methods to finding out what God wants you to do with your children, in teaching them, and in every other area of their lives, as well:)
    I'm following you from Home School Blog Hop! I hope you'll come visit me at
    www.faithfultojesus.blogspot.com
    Blessings,
    Wendy
    Faith's Firm Foundation

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way God worked in your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hopped over! Love that God has moved in your home! Can't wait to see more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! I am sure that there will be times that I will wonder if God wants my kids in Public school or at home. I pray that I will listen for His timing and will as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post!! We are homeschoolers at home too!!
    I really like how the Homeschool Channel puts it...
    "We home-disciple are children." Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is so awesome! Amazing how God has a plan for all of us. Just this morning I was sitting and wondering if I should continue with Homeschooling M - I have so much pressure from family and friends to send her to public school once she is old enough. This just made everything clear to me - God has another plan for us, we are HOMESCHOOLERS!!!!! Thank you for sharing, so sorry I only read this now, been crazy over here. My dad sick again, computer broke down, and the list continues...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.