Friday, March 26, 2010

Preschool Corner - Using Legos










Thanks to Jolanthe at Homeschool Creations for hosting Preschool Corner.  If you have never hopped over to her blog,  you are seriously missing out on a HUGE resource.  The ideas and printables that she offers on her site have been an inspiration to me and has made preschool for my son much more enjoyable!

Seriously.  Stop reading this and head over there.  If you don't get lost, come back.   

This week I want to share how we use LEGOs as a learning tool for my little Manny.  He loves LEGOs.  He loves anything that requires sitting still (for like 10 minutes) and having to work out a problem.  So, here's what I do.

First, I start with a set of matching LEGOs, one for me to build with and one for Manny to use to duplicate what I have created.













Then, create I something that will be challenging by easy enough not to cause frustration.












Manny gladly sits and copies the pattern that I have made for him













Then, he gets to tear it apart and make a pattern for me to copy.

 Playing with LEGOs actually has so many different uses:
  • Sorting by size
  • Sorting by Color
  • Copying a pattern
  • Counting (how many bumps)
  • And many more things that just won't come to my mind because I need my second cup of coffee.
Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

  1. We love legos too and use them lots!! Hope your weekend is a great one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!!! :) We definitely have enough legos around here to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Legos are so fun and can be used for so many areas of learning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We LOVE legos here as well, but my daughter is never interested in copying anything - at least not when it comes from parents. She just wants to build on it or build her own creations. But still Lego is one of our favorite manipulatives, and we use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea! My boys' playroom is full of legos :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to try some activities like that with my kids. All three of them love Legos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute idea, I think I'll be buying some smaller blocks for us to use. Do you like the kits that can be made into something?

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a simple idea...and yet I've never thought of creating something to her the little one duplicate it. Thanks for sharing once again :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.