Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mommy Minute Monday (on Tuesday)


















One thing that probably every mom says at least once (or if you have a little boy 64,000 times) is "Sit Still"  Isn't this a grand idea?  Sit still while you eat your lunch, sit still while I brush your hair, sit still while we wait at the doctor's office, sit still while I read you a book.  Sitting still is foreign to little boys.

However, I need to approach this simple command as I approach any other command.  I have to train it.  Yeah.  Seems simple doesn't it?  Yeah.  It takes time (on my part) and effort.  So here is how I attempt to do it.  I will use my youngest daughter as an example (20 months).

1.  Sit her in my lap.
2.  Say "Please sit still with Mommy" or something to that effect
3.  This is where the training comes in.  Be patient through the squirming, whining, limp body trick, crying, and constant requests for "down"
4.  Baby will slowly give up.  I then sit for about 5 more minutes.

By taking the time to train my little one at home to sit still, she will know what to expect when I ask her to do it in another setting.

4 comments:

  1. My daughter is almost 6 and still has trouble sitting still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this lesson when we were in MOPs, thank you for remidning me of it, as I think we might try it!! thank you. loving the site

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so know about the limp body sliding out of your lap!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.