Saturday, March 14, 2009

Enjoying Phonics Pathways

Hey everyone its Kim here...

(Kim is my dear friend who is homeschooling her daughter in Kindergarten this year. She is a much more structured homeschooler and I envy her for that. I am having her share things that help her get through her days for a different perspective.)

I am teaching kindergarden this year and wanted to tell you a little about our curriculum. We started the year off with Rod and Staff which I love, but we got to a point where I did not want to teach another new first grade concept. I felt like we needed to work on fluency of reading instead of just keep going with reading rules and larger words.

I stopped my Rod and Staff and did not know where to go next. I am one of those homeschoolers that really really likes my workbooks to tell me what to do next, so needless to say I was stuck. I started looking at everything wondering if it would work for us. Instead I came back to what I never thought I would like or use and am loving it.

I am now using Phonics Pathways. It is simple simple to teach reading. It starts out teaching letter sounds then progresses to blending sounds and all the way up to full blown reading.
We spend about 10 or 15 minutes on the couch just reading a page. My child absolutely loves this, she would rather sit next to me and read than sit at a table and work a workbook page. Who knew? There are even games along the way to play to reinforce what we have learned. Now I could kick myself for not just using this at the beginning of the year.

3 comments:

  1. I am anit workbook, must be all those years I taught preschool (haha)
    I will look into this. I have Ordinary Parents Guide To Teaching Reading and Explode the Code.
    Its so fun reading your blog since you are a year ahead of me in homeschooling, your ideas are fresh and timely for me, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look into that. We have Rocket Phonics, but we can't seem to get into a pattern of using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey there, sure you can link to the lapbook post. Now I didn't create that lapbook, the link for it is the person that created it. I just found it a new and refreshing way to teach M. well we made that. but someone else made the templates and I downlaoded them and put the book together

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.