As we prepared for the new school year, my husband was a little discouraged about the way that I was keeping (and trying to organize) our mass of materials. We live in a lovely house that has truly been a blessing from God, with 1456 sq. feet of living space.
We have tried to make our house as functional as possible....three bedrooms, one main bath, one small master bath, a living room, kitchen, and a dining room. It is mostly an open floor concept. Having a devoted homeschool room is not something that I can possible have. We also don't have a lot of "functional" storage furniture. We have furniture. Beautiful furniture that my husband has built but just not storage pieces.
So, what did we come up with?
We took our hall entry closet that held coats and our shoes and emptied it. My husband then filled the space with shelves which I filled with books and bins and all of the other homeschool items that I have.
We still keep our shoes in the bottom of the closet. Each child has a shoe bin (that is conveniently nailed to the wooden shelf) that they are responsible for putting their shoes in. My husband and I put our shoes on the floor beneath the shelf.
So, does anyone else have a clever idea for homeschool storage in a small space?
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Great idea! Luckily, we have a few walk-in closets. They aren't huge, but do wonders for storage!
ReplyDeleteI took over my husband's office closet awhile back and have school supplies, gifts, and all kind of misc. stuff in there.
We homeschool in the kitchen, so I bought a cabinet to hold that stuff. It's working out well.
Just found your blog, I'm a new follower! .. I homeschool in 1300Sq ft home with three kids .. somedays it looks like a preschool came running through leaving a trail behind it ... I have repurposed my pantry and use the garage for a LOT of the larger storage. I make the girls hare one room, for their bedroom and the other room is their playroom .. this has worked out GREAT!
ReplyDelete